Guide to African newspapers and newspapers on Africa
JUNE 21, 2012 LEAVE A COMMENT
Online access via:
- AllAfrica aggregates and produces 2000 news items daily from over 130 African news organizations, they operate from Cape Town, Dakar, Lagos, Monrovia, Nairobi and Washington DC.
- Others are Panapress and Afrol News
- Nordic Africa
Institute’s “A Guide to Africa on the Internet” under the headings links sorted by subject “News and media” or sorted by country or region.
- Stanford: African Newspapers by Country
- Stanford: African Newspapers continent-wide
- World-newspapers -> Africa
Adresses and Links in printed books:
- Africa south of the Sahara 2012, 41st ed., London : Routledge (Europa regional surveys of the world); has country entries with a section on “The Press”.
- The African studies companion : a guide to information sources. / Zell, Hans M.. – 4th rev.and expanded ed. – London [u.a.] : Zell, 200; chapter 10 “News Sources for Africa”, p.299 and chapter 11 “The African Press”, pp. 306-357.
Further guides to African newspapers:
- Uppsala’s Studying Africa Guide, pp. 18, 34, 39
- ASC Leiden
- News & Information Services on Africa, Columbia
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Frankfurt’s “Zeitungen” in German
African Newspapers in German libraries:
- DFG-special subject collection (Sondersammelgebiet) on “Foreign Newspapers” is located at the State Library in Berlin – Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation. The collection is indexed in the OPAC (Online-Katalog der Staatsbibliothek) and the German national union catalogue of periodicals (Zeitschriftendatenbank). TheZeitungsinformationssystem (ZEFYS) provides access to digitized historical newspapers and further online ressources, e.g. on Kenya.
- The DFG-special subject collection on “Africa South of the Sahara” has no collection of African newspapers.
African Newspapers in Europe:
- For newspapers of anglophone countries the collections of the British Library are strong, see their guide
- Bibliothèque nationale de France, Press department
African Newspapers in the U.S.:
- The core of the Cooperative African Newspapers Project is the African Newspapers Union List (AFRINUL), a centralized electronic database of holdings information for newspapers (all formats and all languages) published in sub-Saharan Africa. AFRINUL currently consolidates holdings information for collections in North America, and will expand to include holdings in Africa, Europe, and elsewhere.
- see the overview of Florida, e.g. of the EIU Country Reports to follow the economic and political development in a country
- UN news channel “IRIN – Integrated Regional Information Network, Humanitarian News and Analysis” monitors Africa and publishes daily reports and news
News feeds aggregated:
- ilissAfrica’s Netvibes dashboard “Africa news” with RSS-feeds of allAfrica, BBC, NYT, CNN, Human Rights Watch, VOA, Reuters, IRIN, ODI, …
- ASC Leiden’s Netvibes dashboard has more RSS-feeds from individual African newspapers
- many newspapers have a Twitter-account and they can be aggrregated with “lists”, e.g. from ilissAfrica or LSE
Newspapers on Africa
- LexisNexis [toll access] with important German and international newspapers, also includes The Times (South Africa), Africa Ne
- Library PressDisplay [toll access], 1.700 newspapers from 92 countries as digital copies of the printed versions (last 60 days).
- WISO-Net [toll access], German resources.
- German National Licences with 19th Century British Library Newspapers, America’s Historical Newspapers, Financial Times Historical Archive 1888-2006, Nineteenth Century U.S. Newspapers , The Times Digital Archive 1785 – 1900, …
- Historical press clippings of the Archives of Hamburgisches Welt-Wirtschafts-Archiv (HWWA) and Wirtschaftsarchiv des Instituts für Weltwirtschaft (IfW) with a focus on “Deutsch-Südwestafrika” and “Abessinien”
- Innsbrucker Zeitungsarchiv zur deutsch- und fremdsprachigen Literatur – IZA with articles on African literature and authors.
- Africa-wide NiPAD [toll access], database „Media Africa”
- ilissAfrica websites
Global news agencies with Africa section:
- Literature and websites via ilissAfrica